Key Takeaway in the Impeachment Trial of President Trump
The Democratically led House of Representatives with guidance from their Speaker undertook the most divisive action a government body can undertake. The impeachment of a sitting president.
The Articles of Impeachment the House brought forth are Abuse of Power and Obstruction of Congress. While these articles do not fit the reasons for impeachment the framers of the constitution had in mind whilst considering reasons to remove government figures that could endanger the country; which include conviction of bribery, treason and or other high crimes and misdemeanors, the House has argued that to be included is an abuse of power and obstruction of Congress.
Arguing that their case is based on a telephone call that President Trump had with Ukranian president Zelensky. The House of Representatives alleges the President used his office to get the President of Ukraine to investigate a political rival in exchange for $400 million in security assistance.
The White House Counsel led by Jay Sekulow and Pat Cipollone argued that the articles of impeachment are invalid and that both articles must be rejected. In their arguments before the Senate, they argued on key take away's as to why these articles are invalid. From testimony in the Senate.
1) The Transcript shows that the president did not condition either security or assistance or a meeting on anything. The paused security assistance funds are not mentioned on the phone call.
2) President Zelensky and other Ukranian officials have repeatedly said there was no quid pro quo, and that there was no pressure on them to review anything.
3) President Zelensky and high ranking Ukranian officials did not even know the security assistance was paused until the end of August. Over a month after the July 25th call.
4) Not a single witness testified that the president himself said that there was any connection between any investigations or security assistance, a presidential meeting or anything else.
5) The security assistance flowed on September 11, and a presidential meeting took place on September 25th. without the Ukrainian government announcing any investigations.
6) The Democrat's blind drive to impeach the president does not and cannot change the fact - as attested to by the democrat's own witnesses that President Trump has been a better friend and stronger supporter of Ukraine than his predecessor.